2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Tesla 0 Tesla’s Model 3 Performance subtly adds the power Review • Tesla Model 3 Review: Performance trim More about 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance The Tesla Model 3 has been on sale in the US for some time now, but it was never intended to be limited to our amber waves of grain. Now, it’s about time for other parts of the world to get in on the action.This week, Tesla announced that it opened the Model 3’s design studio (the fancy name for its car configurator) to the public in China and certain left-hand-drive European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Previously, only those who put down cash money on a deposit were eligible to access to the design studio. Now it’s available to anybody who’s interested in learning more about Model 3 configurations. The Model 3’s rollout in the US was similar — reservation holders got the first crack at configuring cars before the greater public had a chance.Right now, it appears that buyers in these new markets are limited to just two Model 3 variants — the Model 3 Performance and the Model 3 Long-Range (with AWD). It’s unclear when or if Europe and China will receive other variants such as the mid-range Model 3 currently available in the US.According to Electrek, initial Model 3 deliveries for non-US markets are currently scheduled to start in February for reservation holders, with new orders set to reach their owners in March. Bloomberg reports that Tesla has yet to receive the full sign-off from European authorities to sell the Model 3 there, but Bloomberg’s source says the company isn’t worried and that its current schedule should work out just fine. 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Tags Share your voice Tesla Electric Cars Car Industry Post a comment More From Roadshow 49 Photos Preview • 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance: The future, quicker 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better
Is there a Pokemon named DontDoThis? Maybe there should be. On Tuesday, a driver in Washington state was found parked on the shoulder of State Route 518 in the Seattle suburb of Burien. With him were eight smartphones, all opened to the Pokemon Go app. BUSTED! More Pokemon news Gotta eat ’em all at the Pokemon Cafe 13 Photos Pokemon Go #PokemonDistraction Sergeant Kyle Smith contacted a vehicle on the shoulder yesterday evening. This is what was next to the driver! Playing #PokemonGO with EIGHT (8) phones! Driver agreed to put phones in back seat and continued his commute with 8 less distractions. pic.twitter.com/tgOr16CRlm— Trooper Rick Johnson (@wspd2pio) August 14, 2019 The man put his gaming rig out of reach, and lived to play another day.But distracted driving has caused accidents before.”I can remember only one collision that we were able to confirm was caused by the driver playing Pokemon Go, (who) rear-ended another vehicle,” Johnson told me. “I am assuming there are more, but humans don’t self-report that often when we arrive at scenes to investigate.”(Hat tip to Seattle-based GeekWire for spotting this story.) Gotta soak ’em all! Pokemon Go hunter falls into pond while playing Norway’s prime minister caught playing Pokemon Go in parliament College students move one step closer to majoring in Pokemon Go Preview • The ultimate guide to everything Pokemon Go Pokemon Go How To • Harry Potter: Wizards Unite best Pokemon Go every way but one News • Pokemon Sleep is Pokemon Go but for bedtime Share your voice 1 Culture Gaming Tags Comment Trooper Rick Johnson of the Washington State Patrol told me the man wasn’t driving while he played the eight different screens — his car was parked. But the overenthusiastic gamer was informed that the shoulder of a busy highway is meant for breakdowns or flat tires or the like. Not pulling over so you can pitch Pokeballs at a Snorlax.”Sgt. (Kyle) Smith asked him to put the phones in his back seat and continue on, as the shoulder is only for emergency parking,” Johnson told me.As you can see, the driver seems well-prepped for octo-play. His phones, of varying sizes, were all nestled into what looks like a homemade foam case that holds them all steady. Each screen was open to the gaming app.
Map locating Qingyuan in China where a deadly blaze broke out at a karaoke lounge. Photo: AFPA fire tore through a karaoke lounge in southern China on Tuesday, killing 18 people and injuring another five, as authorities sought an arson suspect who had reportedly blocked the entrance with a motorcycle.The fire started after midnight in a three-storey building in Qingyuan City, Guangdong province, and was put out shortly before 1:00am local time, according to the police.A preliminary investigation found that it was caused by arson, the Qingyuan public security department said on its Weibo social media account.The suspect got into an argument, then used a motorcycle to block the building’s door and lit the fire, state broadcaster CCTV said, adding that he was on the lam.The police said that “in order to quickly catch the suspect”, it was offering a 200,000 yuan ($32,000) reward for information leading to the arrest of a man identified as a 32-year-old with burn marks on his hips.The police statement did not describe the location of the fire but state media said it occurred in a small KTV house, or karaoke lounge.Unverified videos from the scene posted by local media show flames leaping from the building on a tree-lined street at night, with fire trucks and a crowd of onlookers on the road.The five injured people are receiving treatment in a hospital, state TV said.Karaoke is a popular activity in China, with even shopping centres featuring booths where people can sit and sing their favourite songs.Larger KTV lounges proliferate as well, often spanning across multiple floors in a building, with narrow corridors linking dozens of individual rooms together.The lounge where the fire occurred was smaller, with only one corridor for entry and exit, state TV said.Merrymakers often go for a buffet dinner and sing and drink with a small group of friends in the private rooms late into the night.Deadly fires are common in China, where safety regulations are widely flouted and enforcement is often lax.Common firesA blaze that killed 38 people at a nursing home in 2015 sparked soul-searching about safety standards in China. Courts jailed 21 people, including firefighters and government staff, over the fire last year.The legal representative of the Kangleyuan Nursing Home was sentenced to nine years in prison for constructing an illegal extension to the property, while the contractor was given a six-year sentence for using flammable materials to build an extension.In the days following the accident, China’s top safety watchdog said the facility had poorly-designed fire exits, while safety checks, fire and electricity management, and the emergency response system were all found lacking.More than two dozen people were killed in two fires in Beijing’s migrant neighbourhoods late last year.The first blaze, which killed 19 people in November, prompted authorities to begin tearing down unsafe buildings in the capital, driving hundreds of thousands of down on their luck residents out in the middle of winter.
By Stephen Janis, Special to the AFROIn December of 2015, Pocomoke city resident Gerry Fitch was summoned from her jail cell in the Worcester County Detention Center by investigators for Maryland State Prosecutor Emmet Davitt.Fitch was serving time for drug possession. So, she was uncertain as to why detectives who normally probe corruption with the state officials were interested in speaking to her.But when they started asking her about an alleged relationship with the former and first African-American chief of Pocomoke City, Kelvin Sewell, she said she was confused.Kelvin Sewell, a former Baltimore homicide detective, was fired when he was police chief of Pocomoke City in Worcester County, Md. The Maryland Court of Appeals recently overturned the conviction in a case in 2016 that led to his firing. (AFRO Photo)“It was an urban myth, they said, that I was supposedly pregnant by chief Sewell when I was arrested,” Fitch said in an interview with the Real News Network.“But It wasn’t true.”The interview was part of a wide-ranging investigation against Sewell after he was fired by the Pocomoke city council without explanation.The ongoing saga added a new twist last week, when the Maryland Court of special appeals overturned his conviction of misconduct in office by a Worcester jury in 2016.The charges were brought by Davitt based upon an investigation of a 2014 accident involving two parked cars in which prosecutors convinced a nearly all-White jury Sewell should have charged the driver.But in an opinion issued Nov. 29, the court ruled that Worcester County judge’s decision to bar Sewell from calling expert witnesses prejudiced the jury.In an explosive dissenting opinion Judge Dan Friedman said there was not enough evidence to prove Sewell had committed misconduct, and state prosecutor Emmet Davitt should be barred from trying to case again.“It is my view that the State has failed to prove any intent at all, let alone a corrupt one,” Friedman wrote.Despite the setback, in an email to the AFRO, Davitt said his office is more than likely to retry the case.“After reviewing the appellate court decision and speaking to the victims of the accident, it is very likely that we will retry case. Just need to double check availability and status of witnesses,” Davitt said.However, he would not commit or confirm on Fitch’s recounting of her encounter investigators.The possibility that Davitt may retry the case prompted criticism from State Senator Jill P. Carter.“The entire case smacks of racism and retaliation. I hope the state prosecutor will not expend any more state funds trying to secure a conviction on such flimsy evidence,” State Senator Jill P. Carter told the AFRO.The court’s high-profile decision casts doubt on an investigation into Sewell, which initiated after he had filed EEOC complaints against the city of Pocomoke and Worcester County State’s Attorneys’ office. It also adds weight to the accusations of retaliation that have surfaced since Sewell was fired by the Pocomoke City Council in 2015 after he refused to terminate two Black officers who had also filed EEOC complaints.State Prosecutor Emmet Davitt indicted Sewell in 2016 for failing to charge a driver who had struck two parked cars in 2014.The charges allege Sewell had failed to cite Pocomoke resident Doug Matthews for leaving the scene of an accident. Prosecutors alleged Sewell had let Matthews go because both were members of an African-American Masons chapter on the Eastern Shore.But the court ruled that Sewell and Matthew’s membership “was not competent to prove that Sewell acted with corrupt intent.” A lack of evidence the judges argued made the expert witness testimony critical to Sewell’s case.During the trial Sewell sought to call two policing experts to refute Davitt’s assertion his decision to charge Matthews was unusual. But the judge ruled that expert testimony would confuse the jury and barred Sewell from calling them.But a main point of contention during the trial was the involvement of the Worcester County State’s Attorney’s office in the investigation. In court filings Sewell’s attorneys argued the case was retaliation for filing EEOC discrimination complaints against Worcester County.As proof, his defense cited emails between Davitt’s office and Worcester County prosecutors which revealed the case against Sewell originated with the same Worcester County agency he had filed an EEOC complaint against.The murky origin of the charges and the court’s decision is already prompting calls for Davitt to drop the case.One group, The Caucus of African-American Leaders, plans to send an open letter to Davitt asking him not to retry the case.“What we hope would look at the entire the circumstance and take into account that race and racism has played a factor in this case and they will drop the case as a result of it,” said Carl Snowden, who works with the group.(full disclosure this reporter co-wrote a book with Sewell).
Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid Email One lane is shut on the A50 Eastbound due to an accident this evening. Three vehicles are involved in the accident, which has taken place near the A500 Sideway Roundabout. The accident is reported as being near the bet365 stadium near the Holiday Inn. Traffic data company INRIX says Lane two is blocked following the collision, which is believed An accident on Sutherland Road at Bridgewood Street in Longton has now cleared. For the latest traffic and travel news from across the region, you can visit our designated Traffic and Travel channel here. For the latest live travel news for the rest of Monday, visit our Live News Service here.