Giles admits Alex Hales could still have been in World Cup squad

first_imgALEX Hales would still have been part of the England squad had details of his suspension not become public, director of cricket Ashley Giles has admitted.It was initially said that Hales was taking time away from the game for “personal reasons”, until the Guardian reported he was serving a 21-day ban for recreational drug use.“The effect of that (news) breaking has led us to where we are,” Giles told BBC Sport.“If anyone thinks that is right or wrong, it is the way it had to be.”The England and Wales Cricket Board has still not confirmed why Hales was removed from the squad, citing confidentiality concerns.It is for that reason that the selectors did not know of Hales’ suspension when they named England’s preliminary World Cup squad on April 17, or why captain Eoin Morgan had no knowledge of the sanction until media reports emerged. OMISSION ‘BREAKDOWN IN TRUST’“When the team was selected, myself and chief executive Tom Harrison were aware of a situation, but were bound by a duty of confidentiality. We were unable to share that with any of the key people in that environment,” explained Giles.“Whether any of us considers that right or wrong, that is out of our hands.”News of the drugs ban broke on April 26 as England gathered for a training camp. Hales was removed from the squad on Monday.Speaking yesterday, Morgan confirmed that Hales’ omission was agreed in a meeting of senior players because of what he described as a “complete breakdown in trust” between the Nottinghamshire batsman and the rest of the squad.Morgan then made the feelings of the players known to Giles.“Eoin was clear on what he wanted,” said former left-arm spinner Giles. “The selectors were unanimous on the decision and fully supported by myself and Tom.”After he was removed from the squad, Hales’ management company released a statement detailing the player’s disappointment at the outcome and claiming he had been given assurances that the suspension would not affect his participation in the World Cup.“There were also elements of Alex’s statement that weren’t helpful,” added Giles. “There weren’t assurances given on World Cup selection.”Giles also rejected any suggestion that the ECB hierarchy had acted improperly for failing to disclose Hales’ suspension to his team-mates, selectors or fans.“To think that myself and Tom have misled, hidden, U-turned or tried to sweep under the carpet is ridiculous,” said Giles.“We were bound by a duty of confidentiality and we maintained that. Unfortunately, someone else didn’t and a story has broken about an off-the-field incident.“If in any instance a process or policy doesn’t work, they should come under constant review so that they work better next time around.”With Hales now free to resume playing for Nottinghamshire, Giles wants the 30-year to return to the international fold in the future.“He’s a very, very good player and the door isn’t shut,” said Giles. “We want to see some really good behaviour and good cricket.” (BBC Sport)last_img read more

Syracuse holds off Clemson comeback in 3-1 win

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Seniors Silvi Uattara and Monika Salkute led the Orange (12-2, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) to a 3-1 victory over Clemson on Sunday with 14 kills a piece.It was the second straight win against an ACC opponent to start the year.In the first set, the Orange and the Tigers were alternating control of the lead, neither team separating itself by more than a three-point margin.But after the score was tied 20-20, the Orange began to take control, winning the next four points.The Tigers responded, winning the next three points, but the effort was insufficient as the Orange took the first set 25-23.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe second game was all Syracuse as the Orange never looked back after taking a 2-1 lead early on a Lou Davis service error.The Orange kill leader, Uattara, finished off the game with one of her 14 kills to give Syracuse the 25-19 win and a 2-0 lead in sets.The third set started off like the second. The Orange had complete control, as its lead reached a high of five at 12-7.The Tigers finished off the set winning eight of the last 10 points to take the third set, 25-23.The fourth set proved to be much of the same from both teams. Each team traded points, but neither one took control. When the Orange took the lead at 22-18 on a service error, the Tiger’s quickly fought back, winning two straight points, making it just a two-point deficit at 22-20.The quick surge forced Orange coach Leonid Yellin to use a timeout. Coming out of the timeout, the Tigers trimmed the lead down to one on an ace by freshman Kailey Harvell, making it 22-21.However, the Orange proved to be too much, as Salkute finished off the Tigers with a kill. The Orange look to continue its ACC success at Louisville on Friday night. Comments Published on September 27, 2015 at 8:30 pm Contact Jack: jfupton@syr.edulast_img read more

Community Drive! Luckbox appoints Sujoy Roy as esports director

first_img Related Articles Luckbox: How the return of live sport has affected esports betting July 10, 2020 Luckbox outlines final TSXV roadmap July 29, 2020 Share GG.Bet scores ESL Counter-Strike & Dota 2 global partnerships July 15, 2020 Share Submit StumbleUpon Sujoy Roy – LuckboxUpdating the market, industry esports betting start-up Luckbox (luckbox.com) has confirmed the appointment of Sujoy Roy as its first Director of Esports.Roy joins the Luckbox executive team, from leading global esports tournament organiser ESL, where he led player community development initiatives and audience engagement strategies.A seasoned esports executive, Roy has been tasked with developing Luckbox’s founding community initiatives, fostering partnerships with initial operator stakeholders, and helping bridge esports-to-betting dynamics.Ahead of its planned 2018 product launch, Luckbox has significantly expanded its executive and corporate advisory team, as the company seeks to revolutionise esports wagering.This April, Luckbox confirmed the senior appointments of former PokerStars executives Quentin Martin (COO) and Vadim Soloveychik as first marketing lead.In his new role, Roy will be supported by esports figurehead and corporate advisory Paul ‘Redeye’ Chaloner, as Luckbox seeks to crack esports betting dynamics, which the start-up believes have been significantly underserved by current industry incumbents.“I’ve seen so many companies try to do esports and make a mess of it. I want to help Luckbox avoid the common pitfalls and make a product that works as part of the esports infrastructure. It’s important to understand how and why people watch or play games.” Roy commented on joining Luckbox.“If Luckbox can create a great betting platform and do it sympathetically with the community it could be a big help to the industry.”Backing the appointment of Roy, Vadim Soloveychik, CMO at Luckbox, said: ‘We are excited to welcome Sujoy at Luckbox.“His deep knowledge of the industry and community will play a big role in helping us to deliver an authentic experience for esport fans and become preferred esports betting platform.”last_img read more