Dan Cohen AUTHOR Washington, D.C. — With the Trump administration’s decision not to request additional base closures with this year’s budget submission, the Pentagon’s uphill battle to demonstrate the benefits of a new BRAC round to lawmakers has been placed on the back burner, but the discussion can be expected to return to Capitol Hill eventually. At some point, DOD will need to rebalance its infrastructure, Todd Harrison, director of defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, told the audience Wednesday at the 2018 Defense Communities National Summit. “[That] will have to occur through a BRAC,” Harrison said.That time likely could come when lawmakers realize the rising defense budget is not translating into a significantly larger force structure. The need to curb spending as the nation’s debt grows could provide a strong push in that direction as well. “Then BRAC will come back up,” Harrison said.An additional factor at play is the dispute between the Pentagon and Congress over DOD’s estimate of its excess capacity. Lawmakers, along with a recent Government Accountability Office report, have called for a more precise estimate of the military’s unused capacity. In response, defense officials point out that is only possible when Congress authorizes a new BRAC round. Both sides have a point in this standoff, but lawmakers will be hesitant to jump into a new round in the absence of better data, said Mackenzie Eaglen, resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.“It certainly helps forestall the next BRAC round,” Eaglen said.
2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Tesla 0 Tesla’s Model 3 Performance subtly adds the power Review • Tesla Model 3 Review: Performance trim More about 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance The Tesla Model 3 has been on sale in the US for some time now, but it was never intended to be limited to our amber waves of grain. Now, it’s about time for other parts of the world to get in on the action.This week, Tesla announced that it opened the Model 3’s design studio (the fancy name for its car configurator) to the public in China and certain left-hand-drive European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Previously, only those who put down cash money on a deposit were eligible to access to the design studio. Now it’s available to anybody who’s interested in learning more about Model 3 configurations. The Model 3’s rollout in the US was similar — reservation holders got the first crack at configuring cars before the greater public had a chance.Right now, it appears that buyers in these new markets are limited to just two Model 3 variants — the Model 3 Performance and the Model 3 Long-Range (with AWD). It’s unclear when or if Europe and China will receive other variants such as the mid-range Model 3 currently available in the US.According to Electrek, initial Model 3 deliveries for non-US markets are currently scheduled to start in February for reservation holders, with new orders set to reach their owners in March. Bloomberg reports that Tesla has yet to receive the full sign-off from European authorities to sell the Model 3 there, but Bloomberg’s source says the company isn’t worried and that its current schedule should work out just fine. 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Tags Share your voice Tesla Electric Cars Car Industry Post a comment More From Roadshow 49 Photos Preview • 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance: The future, quicker 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better
In its fourth year, Amazon India incurred a whopping loss of Rs 3,572 crore (about $500 million) in the financial year 2015-16, a sharp rise from Rs 321 crore in 2013-14. In comparison, revenues sky-rocketed from Rs 169 crore to Rs 2,275 crore.In the financial year 2014-15, the company reported revenues of Rs 1,022 crore and loss of Rs 1,724 crore, respectively. Advertising and promotional expenses accounted for almost half of its expenses at Rs 1,405 crore.Amazon.in operates in the world’s fastest-growing economy and burgeoning e-commerce market through Amazon Seller Services Pvt. Ltd.The financial performance of Amazon’s India operations was made available by Tofler. The net worth of Amazon Seller Services was pegged at Rs 4,021 crore as of March 31, 2016.The company has three streams of revenues — income from marketing support services from marketing and promotional services provided to its group companies; income from marketplace services from operating an internet portal and sale of traded goods, which includes Kindle book reader and its accessories.During one of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visits to the US, Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos committed investments of about $3 billion in India, taking its cumulative India investment to $5 billion.Recently, Amazon Seller Services got a fund infusion of Rs 2,010 crore from its parent entity to take on its rivals in an intensely-competitive business in India.”We will invest what it takes to become the customers’ preferred choice in India, and are encouraged that we are India’s largest and fastest-growing ecommerce marketplace,” an Amazon India spokeswoman was quoted as saying.In India, the company is in direct competition with home-grown online marketplace firms Snapdeal and Flipkart. Other players in the space include Myntra, Jabong, Infibeam and Limeroad.The e-commerce space in India saw a relaxation in FDI norms, with the government allowing 100 percent foreign direct investment (FDI) in marketplace model. In a marketplace format, an e-commerce company facilitates transactions between buyers and sellers, whereas in the inventory-based model, it owns the goods and sells them to customers directly.
Popular on Variety Led by former DreamWorks Animation chief Katzenberg and CEO Meg Whitman, Quibi has raised $1 billion from investors including major Hollywood studios and is seeking to raise another $500 million ahead of its spring 2020 launch. The company last week said it had booked $100 million in upfront ad deals from advertisers including Google and Procter & Gamble. Related Quibi keeps shelling out cash for content: Jeffrey Katzenberg’s richly funded startup has ordered a short-form murder-mystery comedy written by and starring former “Saturday Night Live” writers Paula Pell and John Lutz, and executive produced by Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video alongside Seth Meyers and Mike Shoemaker.In “Mapleworth Murders,” Pell (pictured above) is Abigail Mapleworth, a murder-mystery writer who solves homicides in her quaint small town of New Woodstream. Each episode will feature guest victims and suspects in search of answering a bigger question: Why are there so many murders in one small town?The series is one of dozens of shows — designed for on-the-go mobile viewing in sub-10-minute episodes — coming to Quibi, which is slated to launch in April 2020 at $5 monthly with ads and $8 without ads. Meg Whitman and Jeffrey Katzenberg Discuss New Joint Venture Quibi “Mapleworth Murders” is executive produced by Lorne Michaels, Broadway Video’s Andrew Singer, Seth Meyers and Mike Shoemaker, and co-executive produced by Hilary Marx and Jason Carden. The show is being produced at NBCUniversal’s Universal Television.Quibi has announced a slew of projects including Steven Spielberg’s “After Dark,” a horror series users will be able to watch only between sundown and sunrise local time. Other partners include Guillermo del Toro, Antoine Fuqua, Sam Raimi, Jason Blum, Steven Soderbergh, Catherine Hardwick, Anna Kendrick, Doug Liman, Laurence Fishburne and Stephen Curry’s Unanimous Media. Quibi also has ordered shows featuring Tyra Banks, Chrissy Teigen, Don Cheadle and Idris Elba as well as a remake of MTV’s “Punk’d.”Quibi’s untested theory is that people will pay to watch premium entertainment, produced specifically for mobile consumption. Its challenge will be to carve out a large and loyal subscriber base, amid stiff competition from free and paid video services and apps. In the first year of launch, Quibi is aiming to deliver 7,000 pieces of content, including scripted and unscripted shows and daily news and lifestyle programming. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Leslie Jones to Leave ‘Saturday Night Live’