Sri Lanka Mirror journalists arrested

Several employees of the Sri Lanka Mirror website including some journalists were arrested following a raid by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) this afternoon.The CID earlier raided the office of the Sri Lanka Mirror website and the house of journalist Ruwan Ferdinandez, UNP MP Mangala Samaraweera said. He said that plain clothed officers were involved in the raid on the Kotte office of the website and they checked the computers and documents in the office. Subsequently some computers were seized for further investigations. The purpose of the raid was not yet known.CID officers had also visited the Narahempita home of Ferdinand. The CID officers had said that they carried out the raid based on a court order, the UNP MP said. read more

Doctor knocked out medic friend who wouldnt let him stay night in

first_img“While they were returning to Dr A’s flat Dr A stated that he was no longer permitted to stay there and that is something that angered Dr Arundel.”Dr A stated that on the way back to the flat he allegedly punched him multiple times to the face and head and it was an attack that was unprovoked. He recalls falling to the ground and Dr Arundel continued to punch him in the head and and he fell unconscious.”He said that the attack lasted for 25-30 seconds and when he woke up Dr Arundel was not present. He walked back to town and proceeded to call the police. Dr A was taken to A&E and had to have stitches in a laceration in his top lip.”The tribunal continues. “He was very agitated and he was angry and he said he wanted to leave.”As Arundel listened at the Manchester hearing, Dr A told him: “We had been in a bar and you had gone away from the group and came back very agitated.”You wanted to leave immediately. I only had one key for the flat so we both went back so I could let you in and I was going to go back afterwards.You were very agitated and angry and I didn’t know what to do and you said you wanted to go home.”It was over two years ago that this happened and I have said my statement is what I remember that night. When I spoke to the triage nurse I had alcohol, I had been assaulted and I was distressed. I can’t exactly remember the events exactly but I was punched multiple times.”Dr A said he discovered a video on his mobile phone which had somehow captured footage of the assault itself, which he later handed to North Yorkshire Police.When asked at the hearing what was on the video he explained: “You were saying: ‘just f..king take it’ and I said: ‘stop hitting me.’ Then there’s a thud when you hit me again and that was all I can remember. There was no conversation, you assaulted me.”I said to you to stop and then there was a thud and then it goes quiet. I didn’t mean to start recording I don’t know how it happened. Dr A told the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service: “We were both on a night out and we had mutual friends. I think that it happened different as we were a group. He was away from the group for a period of time. When he came back he was very agitated. Dr Arundel is accused of assaulting another doctor after a night out in YorkCredit: Cavendish Press/Pat Isaacs I was brutally punched in the head and face multiple times. I fell to the ground and was punched in the face while I was on the floorDoctor A “In my statement I said I was brutally punched in the head and face multiple times. I fell to the ground and was punched in the face while I was on the floor. When I came into the flat with the police you said: ‘Are you actually doing this.'”And then the police officer said Dr Arundel was trying to intimidate me and that they would write it in his pocket notebook.”Dr A added: “About three years ago there was an end of year ball. We were there with friends and he came back over and said he just wanted to leave and wanted to go home.”He was agitated again. I just gave him the keys and he went back. When I came home later a picture frame was smashed and when I asked about it he said that he had slipped and it fell. I thought it was odd at the time as it was quite high up. I have seen him get angry before.The hearing was told Arundel had to pay £200 compensation to Dr A and had to write a formal letter of apology after he admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm.Suzanna Kitzing counsel for the GMC told the tribunal: “Dr Arundel had a friendship with Dr A and had been invited to stay at Dr A’s flat after a night out in York. At some point in the night Dr Arundel got separated from Dr A and his group of friends.”When Dr Arundel returned to the group he said he wished to return to Dr A’s flat and because there was only one key Dr A had to return to the flat with him to let him into the flat.center_img A senior doctor with a “history of temper tantrums” knocked out a medic after being told he couldn’t stay at his flat, a tribunal was told.Dr David Arundel, 40, a consultant in emergency medicine, lost his temper and rained multiple punches on the other doctor’s head after being told he was no longer permitted to stay over in his city centre apartment.The unnamed victim known only as Dr A fell to the ground and lost consciousness as Arundel continued with his beating and told him: “Just f—–g take it.”The senior consultant who works at the Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital in Grimsby, Lincs then vanished into the night leaving Dr A lying at the roadside. Dr Arundel is accused of assaulting another doctor after a night out in York Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. The victim suffered cuts to his lip which needed 10 stitches and a graize to his leg. He later discovered the assault was inadvertently captured on his mobile phone.Police traced Arundel to the victim’s flat but he escaped with a police caution and the matter was referred to the General Medical Council for a hearing to determine whether he will be struck off.A disciplinary panel was told he had a history of temper tantrums and had previously smashed up the same doctor’s picture frame in a fit of rage when he decided to go home early from a black tie ball.The assault took place on January 25 2015 after the two doctors had been out with friends in York. Arundel had been invited to stay over his colleague’s flat but trouble began after he became separated from the group and tried to phone his friend 12 times to find out where they were.last_img read more