Staff at Ivan’s stage sit-in for payment

first_imgNewsLocal NewsStaff at Ivan’s stage sit-in for paymentBy Alan Jacques – January 23, 2014 773 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Linkedin Email Previous articleLimerick schools accused of unfair admission policyNext articleAviation course takes off at LIT Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter Facebook City protests over sealing of Mother and Baby home records center_img Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp STAFF at one of Limerick’s best known convenience stores staged a sit-in protest this Wednesday after they were left without pay following the closure of the business earlier in the week.Thirty workers are demonstrating at Ivan’s on the Ennis Road in Caherdavin to secure money owed to them, including holiday and redundancy pay.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Staff members told the Limerick Post that pay cheques issued last week had bounced and that their protest would continue until they receive their full entitlements including wages, P45s and a letter from their former employer to process social welfare payments.Mary Sheehan who has worked at Ivan’s for the past nine years said the latest development was a “big blow” for all staff members.“We got a text on Sunday afternoon to be at the store at 8 pm for a meeting. We then got five minutes notice that the store was closing. This is just not acceptable,” said the 61-year-old who worked on the Deli counter.“The management knew they were closing weeks ago and they should have told us long before now. They allowed us take orders for cakes at the weekend knowing we were going to be closed. I feel terrible for all the customers who ordered cakes,” the Kileely woman remarked.“I have worked since I was 12-years-old and I had to go to the dole office this week for the first time in my life. I didn’t know where to go and didn’t have the proper forms or anything. I was in tears before I got to the counter.“We will not be moved from here until we get our wages and everything else we are owed. I feel so mad,” she said.When approached by press outside the store on Wednesday, one member of management said “I don’t need the opportunity to comment on anything”.Secretary of the Trades Council, Frank McDonald, who was at the store to support the action, said he believes the 30 staff members are “completely justified” in their protest and that management are “totally ignoring employment legislation”.A letter issued to staff from Cappagrennan Limited, trading as Ivan’s, stated that the directors are currently considering the options available to the company.“In the event that any or all of the employees are made redundant, we have been advised that those employees will receive their full salary entitlements to include any/all arrears of pay and full statutory redundancy”, the letter added. TAGSCaherdavinivansMusic Limerickprotest #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Advertisement Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launchlast_img read more

Audio of investigators’ interview with officer regarding George Floyd’s arrest released

first_imgamphotora/iStockBy HALEY YAMADA, ABC News(MINNEAPOLIS) — Audio recordings of an investigator interview with one of the former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s death were released Tuesday.The interview with Thomas Lane was conducted by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension shortly after Floyd died on May 25. The audio contains a statement by Lane as to his perspective regarding Floyd’s arrest and eventual death. “Once [Floyd] kind of stopped fighting us, I think I had said again, ‘I think we should roll him onto his side,” Lane told agents during the interview.Lane said that he believed former officer Derek Chauvin, who was seen in video footage with his knee on Floyd’s neck, had told him and the other two officers to continue to hold Floyd on the ground and that there was an ambulance on the way.“That made sense to me, just because I’ve had experiences with people who are [overdosing] and they’ll be out one minute and they’ll come back and really, you know, be aggressive with me,” said Lane in the interview.“I would say I felt like it maybe could have been handled differently or we should be reassessing what we’re doing,” Lane added.All four officers involved in Floyd’s death were fired from the Minneapolis Police Department and charged with his death. Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. Lane, as well as J. Alexander Keung and Tou Thao, have been charged with aiding and abetting both second-degree murder and manslaughter.The officers have not yet formally entered pleas. Their trials are scheduled for March 2021.The release of Lane’s interview audio comes a little over a month after Lane’s attorney, Earl Gray, released audio transcripts from Lane and Kueng’s body camera videos, which provided the most detailed account yet of the events that took place as police took Floyd into custody.The new transcripts were made public as part of Lane’s request to have the case against him dismissed.Thao’s attorney, Robert Paule, had also filed Thao’s body camera video with the court to support a motion to dismiss criminal charges against him, the Star-Tribune reported on Aug. 13.Paule had argued in court filings that Thao’s video proved he was focused on crowd control and that he never physically laid hands on Floyd or had a full view of what was happening as the three other officers restrained Floyd on the ground.Floyd’s death sparked nationwide outcry and massive protests around the world against racial injustice and police brutality. During his arrest, Floyd repeatedly told the officers that he could not breathe and called out for his mother before passing out. He was pronounced dead at a hospital that evening.Keith Ellison, the Minnesota attorney general, has asked the judge presiding over the officers’ cases to have all four tried jointly. Defense attorneys have until Sept. 8 to respond. The next court hearing for the four is scheduled for Sept. 11.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more