Dolphins rookie quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is going with #1, on his new jersey.The Alabama quarterback will not be able to wear the #13 jersey he donned while playing for Alabama because the number 13 retired for former Dolphin QB Dan Marino. Dan Marino QB for the Miami Dolphin action during the super bowl XIX, against San Francisco at Palo Alto, California, on Jan. 20, 1985. (AP Photo)Tua says he doesn’t care what number he wears. The Fins selected Tagovailoa fifth overall in last month’s NFL Draft.
ALEX Hales would still have been part of the England squad had details of his suspension not become public, director of cricket Ashley Giles has admitted.It was initially said that Hales was taking time away from the game for “personal reasons”, until the Guardian reported he was serving a 21-day ban for recreational drug use.“The effect of that (news) breaking has led us to where we are,” Giles told BBC Sport.“If anyone thinks that is right or wrong, it is the way it had to be.”The England and Wales Cricket Board has still not confirmed why Hales was removed from the squad, citing confidentiality concerns.It is for that reason that the selectors did not know of Hales’ suspension when they named England’s preliminary World Cup squad on April 17, or why captain Eoin Morgan had no knowledge of the sanction until media reports emerged. OMISSION ‘BREAKDOWN IN TRUST’“When the team was selected, myself and chief executive Tom Harrison were aware of a situation, but were bound by a duty of confidentiality. We were unable to share that with any of the key people in that environment,” explained Giles.“Whether any of us considers that right or wrong, that is out of our hands.”News of the drugs ban broke on April 26 as England gathered for a training camp. Hales was removed from the squad on Monday.Speaking yesterday, Morgan confirmed that Hales’ omission was agreed in a meeting of senior players because of what he described as a “complete breakdown in trust” between the Nottinghamshire batsman and the rest of the squad.Morgan then made the feelings of the players known to Giles.“Eoin was clear on what he wanted,” said former left-arm spinner Giles. “The selectors were unanimous on the decision and fully supported by myself and Tom.”After he was removed from the squad, Hales’ management company released a statement detailing the player’s disappointment at the outcome and claiming he had been given assurances that the suspension would not affect his participation in the World Cup.“There were also elements of Alex’s statement that weren’t helpful,” added Giles. “There weren’t assurances given on World Cup selection.”Giles also rejected any suggestion that the ECB hierarchy had acted improperly for failing to disclose Hales’ suspension to his team-mates, selectors or fans.“To think that myself and Tom have misled, hidden, U-turned or tried to sweep under the carpet is ridiculous,” said Giles.“We were bound by a duty of confidentiality and we maintained that. Unfortunately, someone else didn’t and a story has broken about an off-the-field incident.“If in any instance a process or policy doesn’t work, they should come under constant review so that they work better next time around.”With Hales now free to resume playing for Nottinghamshire, Giles wants the 30-year to return to the international fold in the future.“He’s a very, very good player and the door isn’t shut,” said Giles. “We want to see some really good behaviour and good cricket.” (BBC Sport)