NewsLocal NewsStaff at Ivan’s stage sit-in for paymentBy Alan Jacques – January 23, 2014 773 #HearThis: New music and video from Limerick rapper Strange Boy Celebrating a ground breaking year in music from Limerick Emma Langford shortlisted for RTE Folk Award and playing a LIVE SHOW!!! this Saturday Linkedin Email Previous articleLimerick schools accused of unfair admission policyNext articleAviation course takes off at LIT Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Twitter Facebook City protests over sealing of Mother and Baby home records Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp STAFF at one of Limerick’s best known convenience stores staged a sit-in protest this Wednesday after they were left without pay following the closure of the business earlier in the week.Thirty workers are demonstrating at Ivan’s on the Ennis Road in Caherdavin to secure money owed to them, including holiday and redundancy pay.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Staff members told the Limerick Post that pay cheques issued last week had bounced and that their protest would continue until they receive their full entitlements including wages, P45s and a letter from their former employer to process social welfare payments.Mary Sheehan who has worked at Ivan’s for the past nine years said the latest development was a “big blow” for all staff members.“We got a text on Sunday afternoon to be at the store at 8 pm for a meeting. We then got five minutes notice that the store was closing. This is just not acceptable,” said the 61-year-old who worked on the Deli counter.“The management knew they were closing weeks ago and they should have told us long before now. They allowed us take orders for cakes at the weekend knowing we were going to be closed. I feel terrible for all the customers who ordered cakes,” the Kileely woman remarked.“I have worked since I was 12-years-old and I had to go to the dole office this week for the first time in my life. I didn’t know where to go and didn’t have the proper forms or anything. I was in tears before I got to the counter.“We will not be moved from here until we get our wages and everything else we are owed. I feel so mad,” she said.When approached by press outside the store on Wednesday, one member of management said “I don’t need the opportunity to comment on anything”.Secretary of the Trades Council, Frank McDonald, who was at the store to support the action, said he believes the 30 staff members are “completely justified” in their protest and that management are “totally ignoring employment legislation”.A letter issued to staff from Cappagrennan Limited, trading as Ivan’s, stated that the directors are currently considering the options available to the company.“In the event that any or all of the employees are made redundant, we have been advised that those employees will receive their full salary entitlements to include any/all arrears of pay and full statutory redundancy”, the letter added. TAGSCaherdavinivansMusic Limerickprotest #SaucySoul: Room 58 – ‘Hate To See You Leave’ Advertisement Watch the streamed gig for Fergal Nash album launch
FSGI deputy secretary-general Fahriza Marta said teachers had minimal protection from the virus, despite recent calls to reopen schools.“Reopening schools will be risky without proper preparation,” Fahriza said in a statement on Saturday.He added that many schools had already opened and had failed to implement strict health protocols.Some schools lacked proper sanitation facilities and allowed teachers to instruct students in person without wearing masks. Some teachers did not enforce physical distancing rules during school activities. The United Federation of Indonesian Teachers (FSGI) has urged the government to do more to protect teachers, school administrators and students during the COVID-19 pandemic, noting that several teachers and school administrators have died of the illness.According to the FSGI, at least 20 teachers and two school administrators have died of COVID-19. Read also: EXCLUSIVE: Nadiem says school reopening ‘bold’ but necessary amid ‘education crisis’The FSGI found that 51 junior high schools in Toba, North Sumatra, were requiring students to attend in-person classes three days a week.“We found that only 13 of the 51 schools reported to the Education and Culture Ministry that they had reopened,” Fahriza said.Of the 13 schools, only one had proper toilet facilities. One school failed to provide handwashing facilities. Four schools were not disinfected regularly, while eight did not check the temperatures of people entering the facility.Fahriza said teachers and school staff had the right to receive proper protection under the 2005 Teachers and Lecturers Law as well as a 2017 ministerial decree on teacher protection.“We deserve not just legal and welfare protection but also protection from COVID-19 infection,” he said.FSGI secretary-general Heru Purnomo urged the central government and regional administrations to provide COVID-19 swab testing at schools and to allocate additional funds so that all schools could have proper sanitation facilities.“If the government does not have the budget for that, we urge the suspension of face-to-face learning for the time being,” said Heru. (dpk)Topics :
Published on February 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ The Syracuse women’s basketball team’s 53-45 slugfest win over Louisville gave the team multiple reasons to be excited.First, the victory brought the Orange back to .500 in the Big East. It gave SU some confidence heading into the final stretch of the regular season. And it inched the team closer to a 20-win season.But perhaps more importantly, it added a resume-strengthening win in Syracuse’s last chance to do so at home this year.‘I think it was important to protect your home floor,’ senior guard Erica Morrow said. ‘It’s so hard to win tough games on the road that you need to protect your home floor and win as many as possible when you have the advantage.’The matchup with Louisville marked the beginning of a critical two-game swing for the Orange (18-7, 6-6), with the postseason rapidly approaching. Entering this week, ESPN placed Syracuse just outside its projected NCAA tournament field in the ‘last four out’ group. But both the Cardinals and St. John’s, who SU plays Saturday at 3 p.m. in New York City, were in the field of 64. With only three games left after the weekend, this may be Syracuse’s last chance to earn a resume-building win in the regular season.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text‘We knew how big Louisville was going in because we knew exactly where they were in all that,’ SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. ‘Obviously, going into St. John’s, it’s the same thing.’Before the win against the Cardinals, Syracuse’s slate of victories was void of many signature wins. The best was a Jan. 22 triumph at Marquette. A win over then-No. 6 Ohio State on Dec. 11 in the Carrier Dome has lost most of its luster as the Buckeyes have limped to a 15-9 mark.Other than those wins, the Orange has missed a slew of opportunities. The Big East schedule has provided plenty of chances for SU to beat tournament teams, but it has struggled against its more talented counterparts.Add those blundered chances to an RPI of 63 and strength of schedule that ranks 95th in the country, and ESPN projected Syracuse to barely miss the tournament.‘Normally, they’re pretty accurate,’ Hillsman said. ‘You’ve almost got to look at it and say, ‘Hey, that’s kind of where we are.”But this week could be the difference for Syracuse’s tournament chances.It already pulled out the win over Louisville, adding another decent win to the resume. St. John’s may be a taller task on the road, but as Hillsman said, a victory in New York would be just as important — if not more — as the win Wednesday in the Dome.‘I think it’s very important that we just finish the season strong,’ sophomore guard Elashier Hall said. ‘Right now, we’re 6-6. It’s OK, but we would love to finish out these games.’And in fact, a win over the Red Storm may be Syracuse’s last chance at a resume-improving victory. Its first two opponents after St. John’s are Cincinnati and Providence, both of whom have losing records. After that, SU travels to Storrs, Conn., for a bout with No. 2 Connecticut, who it hasn’t beaten since 1996.A victory over UConn could certainly be the golden ticket for the Orange to get into the tournament. But as that hasn’t happened in 15 years, SU’s performance this week could be the decisive factor for the Orange’s tournament goals.Syracuse already took one major step toward the field of 64 with the win over Louisville on Wednesday. And back-to-back wins over projected tournament teams would certainly improve its chances.‘I think it’d be really important,’ Hillsman said. ‘We’re not going to downplay the game. It’s a very important game playing against a great team, and we’ve got to go down there and get it done.’[email protected]
“I think it’s one of the best jobs in baseball,” he said on ESPN’s “Baseball Tonight.” Ross works as an MLB analyst for the network. “I’ve got a lot of close ties with those guys. I think the interest would be there. I think my heart is drawn to that dugout a little bit.”MORE: Six other candidates to replace Joe MaddonRoss also said he’s “sure waiting for that phone call” if the Cubs’ front office decides to consider him for the job. He is already on the team’s payroll as a special assistant in baseball operations. Ross, though, did make it a point to say he has a “nice job” at ESPN that allows him to spend time with his family.Ross, 42, has never been a manager or coach, but Cubs players viewed him as a coach when he served as the team’s backup catcher/personal catcher for Jon Lester in 2015 and 2016. “Grandpa Rossy” retired after the Cubs won the World Series in ’16. MORE: Where will Joe Maddon manage in 2020?”From the very get-go, I felt like this guy will be a manager some day for sure,” ESPN.com quoted Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant as saying. Maddon and the Cubs agreed to part ways Sunday after five seasons together. Chicago missed the playoffs this year after four consecutive trips under Maddon. A breakup was expected after Epstein allowed Maddon to become a lame duck in 2019, the final year of his contract.Ross tweeted a tribute to Maddon after the news was announced.It was a honor having the opportunity to play for Joe Maddon and winning a Championship with him during one of the greatest runs in the history of the Chicago Cubs. I learned a tremendous amount from him and wish him continued success in this game. pic.twitter.com/xr0OLFSTiZ— David Ross (@D_Ross3) September 29, 2019Ross has shown interest in managing in the recent past. He interviewed last October with the Twins, who hired Rocco Baldelli to replace Paul Molitor. David Ross would welcome an opportunity to succeed Joe Maddon as Cubs manager.Ross said Sunday that running the club with which he ended his playing career appeals to him.
Denmark22040.709 Upcoming matches:1 May: Rest day2 May: Bermuda v Jersey (Kinrara Cricket Oval); Uganda v Vanuatu (Royal Selangor Club); Malaysia v Denmark (UKM Cricket Oval)3 May: Uganda v Denmark (Kinrara Cricket Oval); Malaysia v Jersey (Royal Selangor Club); Bermuda v Vanuatu (UKM Cricket Oval)4 May: Rest/Reserve5 May: Denmark v Vanuatu (Kinrara Cricket Oval); Malaysia v Bermuda (Royal Selangor Club); Uganda v Jersey (UKM Cricket Oval)6 May: Final (Kinrara Cricket Oval); 3rd v 4th Playoff (Royal Selangor Club); 5th v 6th Playoff (UKM Cricket Oval)Share on: WhatsApp Jersey21120.990 Malaysia beat Vanuatu by 23 runs at Kinrara OvalMalaysia 196 all out, 43.5 overs (Ahmed Faiz 86, Shafiq Sharif 27; Apollinaire Stephen 2/31)Vanuatu 173 all out, 49.3 overs (Shane Deitz 46, Andrew Mansale 26; Muhamad Syahadat 2/28)Denmark beat Jersey by seven wickets (DLS Method) at Royal Selangor ClubJersey 238/6, 50 overs (Nathaniel Watkins 86, Ben Stevens 69; Saif Al Ahmad 2/36)Denmark 114/3, 21.5 overs (Freddie Klokker 39, Zameer Khan 38; Ben Stevens 1/28)Uganda beat Bermuda by 189 runs at UKM Cricket OvalUganda 249/5, 50 overs (Roger Mukasa 97, Hamu Kayondo 55; )Jersey 105/3, 31.1 overs (Nathaniel Watkins 36, Nicholas Ferraby 28 not out; Jelany Chilia 3/30)ICC World Cricket League Division 4 standing: Right hand batsman Mukasa hit 97Uganda ?? 249/5 Bermuda ?? 60 all out (Uganda wins by 189 runs)Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia | THE INDEPENDENT | Captain Roger Mukasa scored an impressive 97 runs from 135 balls including six fours as Uganda put her ICC World Cricket League Division 4 hopes back on track on Monday.The captain was ably supported by Hamu Bagenda who scored 55 runs from 95 balls as Uganda notched their first win of the tournament after emphatically beating Bermuda by 189 runs. He hit two fours, whilst helping Uganda post a total of 249 runs for five wickets in 50 overs.The chase for Bermuda never really got started as a flurry of wickets fell, leaving Bermuda on 21 runs for six wickets after 10.1 overs. Charles Trott top-scored for Bermuda with 17 runs and Dion Stovell (10) was the only other batsman to reach double figures. The outstanding bowling performance was from Mohammed Irfan, who took six wickets from 23 runs to lead Uganda to a 189-run victory.In other games, Malaysia and Denmark got second wins on day two of the tournament where the top two advance to ICC World Cricket League Division 3.The hosts Malaysia made it two from two after they beat Vanuatu by 23 runs at the Kinrara Oval in Kuala Lumpar on day two of the ICC World Cricket League Division 4.In the day’s other match Denmark beat Jersey in a rain affected game by seven wickets (DLS method) at the Royal Selangor Club.Scores in brief Uganda21121.800 Vanuatu2020-0.938 Malaysia22040.320 Bermuda2020-2.330 TeamPlayedWonLost PointsNRR
Guwahati: The All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) said it is not happy with the exclusion figure in the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) which was released on Saturday, and will appeal against it in the Supreme Court. The AASU is a signatory to the Assam Accord, a 1985 document that provided for “detection, deletion and deportation” of illegal foreigners from Assam. The NRC in the state has been updated under the monitoring of the Supreme Court to include only genuine Indian nationals. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details “We are not happy at all. It seems there were some deficiencies in the updatation process. We believe that it is an incomplete NRC. We will appeal to the Supreme Court to remove all the faults and descrepancies in this NRC,” AASU General Secretary Lurinjyoti Gogoi said. The final NRC was released on Saturday leaving out over 19 lakh applicants. Addressing a press conference, Gogoi said the final figure of exclusion did not reach near the figures officially announced by the authorities on various occasions.